Steel Cleaver Knives
But other than that, what exactly are cleaver knives? That is, what does it look like, what can cleaver knives be used for, and what can cleaver knife blades be made from? Show More
A cleaver is a big knife that is generally known for it’s large, rectangular blade, and it’s best suited, unsurprisingly, to heavy-duty kitchen work.
But other than that, what exactly are cleaver knives? That is, what does it look like, what can cleaver knives be used for, and what can cleaver knife blades be made from?
We’re going to answer all these questions to make sure that you know everything you need to know about cleavers. That way, by the time you get to browsing our selection of kitchen cleaver knives, you’ll know exactly what you’re looking for.
What are the Characteristics of Cleaver Knives?
As with any knife, a cleaver has some very unique characteristics that make it what it is. Sure, they’re not all exactly the same – they can differ in blade material and sometimes the sizes of the blade can vary a bit too.
But, here are the most typical properties of a cleaver:
- Blade Shape: It’s large, rectangular, flat, and wide. The reason for this very specific shape is that it provides extra strength and force, and it’s also super helpful when it comes to transferring ingredients after chopping.
- Blade Thickness: They tend to have thicker blades than most other knives – heavier too. This allows them to properly cut through tough foods and materials like bones.
- Edge Type: Some cleavers have flat edges, while others have slightly curved edges – it all depends on the intended use. The former is better suited to meat and the latter is better suited to working with veggies.
- Weight: Overall, cleavers are pretty heavy, as both the blades and handles are made from dense materials.
- Handle: They can be made from pretty much anything, but it’s got to be strong enough to work hand in hand with the weight and strength of the blade.
Because they’re strong and heavy, it’s super important to always put safety first when you’re working with a cleaver!
Cleaver Knife Uses
Cleaver knives are actually surprisingly versatile. They can be used for:
- Chopping vegetables or fruit.
- Cutting and slicing meat.
- Breaking down meat.
- Crushing garlic.
- Crushing or tenderizing ingredients.
There’s not much they can’t be used for!
What Are Cleaver Blades Made From?
Cleaver knife blades can be made from a variety of different materials, as long as they’re tough and strong. A few options include:
- Carbon Steel: It’s tougher than most blades.
- High-Carbon Steel: It’s way tougher than normal blades – it’s super strong.
- Stainless Steel: It’s pretty strong but also resistant to corrosion and durable.
- Damascus Steel: Very strong, sharp, and durable – a reasonably high end material.
Whether you’re looking for Japanese cleaver knives or something made locally, always have a look at the blade material, because it not only affects strength, but also the required maintenance.
Shop the Bamboo Guy’s selection today and find the best cleaver knives for your kitchen!